Florida Dept. of Agriculture

This work product was gathered by Saferparks as a public service. It is believed accurate when published, but there are regular changes in this information. Last 50-state update: September 16, 2008
Agency Information


Regulation Type:

Government regulates rides at carnivals and smaller parks; rides at large theme parks are exempt

Rides/devices regulated under this authority:

  • Rides at large theme parks
  • Rides at smaller parks
  • Rides at fairs and traveling carnivals
  • Inflatables at carnivals and parks
  • Inflatables - private rentals
  • Go-Karts
  • Bungees
  • Waterslides

Special Conditions:

Rides operated amusement parks with more than 1000 employees, or at trade shows, are exempt from state safety regulation.
Regulations Pertaining to Accidents

General categories of accident reporting required for regulated devices:

  • Severe injuries
  • Injuries treated by a physician
  • Injuries requiring on-site first aid
  • Major equipment damage

Reporting Criteria:

Non-exempt parks and traveling carnivals are required by law to report ride-related death or injury requiring immediate transport to a medical facility. Exempt facilities (large parks and trade shows) are exempt from mandatory reporting. In 2001, Disney, Universal and Busch voluntarily agreed to report medical symptoms of patrons who die or are immediately admitted to the hospital after riding their thrill rides.

Procedure/Authority for Investigating Accidents:

State officials have authority to investigate serious accidents at carnivals and non-exempt permanent parks. Accidents at exempt facilities (large parks, trade shows) are not investigated by public safety authorities.

Records Provided to Saferparks:

Log of injuries requiring medical transport from carnivals and non-exempt parks 1991-2001 & July 2002-2007. Click here to view records