Kentucky Department of Agriculture

This work product was gathered by Saferparks as a public service. It is believed accurate when published, but there are regular changes in this information. Last 50-state update: September 16, 2008
Agency Information


Regulation Type:

Government officials inspect rides and investigate accidents

Rides/devices regulated under this authority:

  • Rides at large theme parks
  • Rides at smaller parks
  • Rides at fairs and traveling carnivals
  • Inflatables at carnivals and parks
  • Inflatables - private rentals
  • Go-Karts
  • Bungees
  • Waterslides
Regulations Pertaining to Accidents

General categories of accident reporting required for regulated devices:

  • Severe injuries
  • Injuries treated by a physician
  • Injuries requiring on-site first aid
  • Major equipment damage

Reporting Criteria:

A written report shall be filed by the owner of an amusement ride or amusement attraction if one (1) of the following occurs as a result of an accident or incident involving an amusement ride or amusement attraction, equipment, or operating site: (1) The death of a person; (2) An injury requiring medical treatment; (3) An injury to a person not receiving medical treatment; (4) The involvement of a person requiring the intervention of emergency response or rescue personnel; (5) Damage to property; or (6) Structural or major mechanical failure of an amusement ride or amusement attraction.

Procedure/Authority for Investigating Accidents:

State inspectors are authorized to investigate serious accidents.

Records Provided to Saferparks:

Log of reported accidents 2004-2007; inconsistent content (e.g., Six Flags' logs were only included for one year). Click here to view records