Maine Department of Public Safety

This work product was gathered by Saferparks as a public service. It is believed accurate when published, but there are regular changes in this information. Last 50-state update: September 16, 2008
Agency Information


Regulation Type:

Government officials inspect rides and investigate accidents

Rides/devices regulated under this authority:

  • Rides at large theme parks
  • Rides at smaller parks
  • Rides at fairs and traveling carnivals
  • Inflatables at carnivals and parks
  • Inflatables - private rentals
  • Go-Karts
  • Bungees
  • Waterslides

Special Conditions:

Companies that rent out inflatables must obtain a permit and have inflatables inspected, but user does not need to obtain a permit.
Regulations Pertaining to Accidents

General categories of accident reporting required for regulated devices:

  • Severe injuries
  • Injuries treated by a physician
  • Injuries requiring on-site first aid
  • Major equipment damage

Reporting Criteria:

If patron is transported to hospital, accident must be reported immediately and ride shut down pending authorization to re-open. Other injuries must be reported within 24 hours. Accident reports generally are not available to the public.

Procedure/Authority for Investigating Accidents:

State inspectors are authorized to investigate accidents.