Minnesota Dept. of Labor and Industry

This work product was gathered by Saferparks as a public service. It is believed accurate when published, but there are regular changes in this information. Last 50-state update: September 16, 2008
Agency Information


Regulation Type:

State regulations cede most regulatory functions to industry

Rides/devices regulated under this authority:

  • Rides at large theme parks
  • Rides at smaller parks
  • Rides at fairs and traveling carnivals
  • Inflatables at carnivals and parks
  • Inflatables - private rentals
  • Go-Karts
  • Bungees
  • Waterslides

Special Conditions:

The state does not directly monitor ride safety, only compliance with insurance requirement.
Regulations Pertaining to Accidents

General categories of accident reporting required for regulated devices:

  • Severe injuries
  • Injuries treated by a physician
  • Injuries requiring on-site first aid
  • Major equipment damage

Reporting Criteria:

Starting in 2008, serious injuries must be reported to the state Commissioner of Labor and Industry and the local law enforcement agency.

Procedure/Authority for Investigating Accidents:

Serious accidents must be investigated by the state Commissioner of Labor and Industry or local law enforcement. Investigators are not required to have experience or training related to amusement ride machinery and operations.