Rhode Island Building Commission

This work product was gathered by Saferparks as a public service. It is believed accurate when published, but there are regular changes in this information. Last 50-state update: September 16, 2008
Agency Information


Regulation Type:

Government officials inspect rides and investigate accidents

Rides/devices regulated under this authority:

  • Rides at large theme parks
  • Rides at smaller parks
  • Rides at fairs and traveling carnivals
  • Inflatables at carnivals and parks
  • Inflatables - private rentals
  • Go-Karts
  • Bungees
  • Waterslides

Special Conditions:

Inflatables, hay rides, and pony rides are non-jurisdictional.
Regulations Pertaining to Accidents

General categories of accident reporting required for regulated devices:

  • Severe injuries
  • Injuries treated by a physician
  • Injuries requiring on-site first aid
  • Major equipment damage

Reporting Criteria:

State law requires reporting of any injury resulting in overnight hospitalization for treatment or observation. State policy, stated in letter distributed to owners, says that ER-treated injuries should be reported as well. In addition, state law mandates reporting of any highway, setup, or tear-down accident involving impact on any ride component.

Procedure/Authority for Investigating Accidents:

State officials are authorized to investigate serious accidents.

Records Provided to Saferparks:

Accident investigation reports from 1999-2007. Criteria: death or injury requiring immediate overnight in-patient admission to a hospital. Click here to view records