Virginia County Governments (state law requires county permits)

This work product was gathered by Saferparks as a public service. It is believed accurate when published, but there are regular changes in this information. Last 50-state update: September 16, 2008
Agency Information


Regulation Type:

Government officials inspect rides; ride owners investigate their own accidents

Rides/devices regulated under this authority:

  • Rides at large theme parks
  • Rides at smaller parks
  • Rides at fairs and traveling carnivals
  • Inflatables at carnivals and parks
  • Inflatables - private rentals
  • Go-Karts
  • Bungees
  • Waterslides
Regulations Pertaining to Accidents

General categories of accident reporting required for regulated devices:

  • Severe injuries
  • Injuries treated by a physician
  • Injuries requiring on-site first aid
  • Major equipment damage

Reporting Criteria:

Death or injury requiring overnight hospitalization must be reported to local Building Department. Reports are kept by county, city, or town building department. Contact each local building dept.

Procedure/Authority for Investigating Accidents:

Ride owners are required to investigate their own accidents and report findings to the county Dept. of Buildings. County officials may follow up.