California Division of Occupational Safety and Health

This work product was gathered by Saferparks as a public service. It is believed accurate when published, but there are regular changes in this information. Last 50-state update: September 16, 2008
Agency Information


Regulation Type:

Government officials inspect rides and investigate accidents

Rides/devices regulated under this authority:

  • Rides at large theme parks
  • Rides at smaller parks
  • Rides at fairs and traveling carnivals
  • Inflatables at carnivals and parks
  • Inflatables - private rentals
  • Go-Karts
  • Bungees
  • Waterslides

Special Conditions:

Dry slides are explicitly exempt from regulation. Inflatables and go-karts do not meet the definition of amusement ride in state law and are, therefore, not regulated.
Regulations Pertaining to Accidents

General categories of accident reporting required for regulated devices:

  • Severe injuries
  • Injuries treated by a physician
  • Injuries requiring on-site first aid
  • Major equipment damage

Reporting Criteria:

All ride owners must report accidents resulting in death or injury requiring medical service other than ordinary first aid. As of 2008, portable ride owners must also report major mechanical failures and any accident in which a patron falls or is ejected from the ride mid-cycle, regardless of injury.

Procedure/Authority for Investigating Accidents:

State inspectors have authority to investigate reportable accidents.

Records Provided to Saferparks:

All reported accidents for years 2000-2006, and partial records from 2007-2008. Click here to view records