Wisconsin Dept. of Commerce, Safety and Building Division

This work product was gathered by Saferparks as a public service. It is believed accurate when published, but there are regular changes in this information. Last 50-state update: September 16, 2008
Agency Information


Regulation Type:

Government officials inspect rides and investigate accidents

Rides/devices regulated under this authority:

  • Rides at large theme parks
  • Rides at smaller parks
  • Rides at fairs and traveling carnivals
  • Inflatables at carnivals and parks
  • Inflatables - private rentals
  • Go-Karts
  • Bungees
  • Waterslides

Special Conditions:

Waterslides are no longer annually inspected by the Department of Commerce; only the initial inspection. Annual inspections are the responsibility of the Department of Health and Family Services as of the Spring of 2003. The point of contact for waterslides is: Tracynda Davis, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 1051, Madison, WI 53702. (608) 266-8294.
Regulations Pertaining to Accidents

General categories of accident reporting required for regulated devices:

  • Severe injuries
  • Injuries treated by a physician
  • Injuries requiring on-site first aid
  • Major equipment damage

Reporting Criteria:

Injury requiring off-site follow up medical care must be reported within 24 hours.

Procedure/Authority for Investigating Accidents:

State inspectors are authorized to investigate serious accidents.

Records Provided to Saferparks:

Log of reported accidents from 2001 and 2004-2007. Click here to view records